Whether for decorating your home or kick-starting your creativity, finding a fresh burst of inspiration is a challenge we all can face. So we turned to textiles designer Donna Wilson to put together a list of her six favourite ways to stay inspired. Donna's career began when she starting creating quirky creatures to sell in London boutiques; now she has everything from cute egg cups to cushions stocked in over 25 countries. What's her secret? Take it away Donna Wilson...!
Six tips for staying inspired
- Always keep your eyes open. You can find inspiration everywhere - on your journey to work you might see an interesting colour combination or pattern.
- Pick up things from your travels. These objects don't have to cost a fortune - they can be things like unusual sweets packaging, a plastic toy or something from nature, like a nice bit of driftwood or piece of coloured string.
- Surround yourself with things you love. It will make you happy. At home I have shelves that I put my inspirational objects on so every morning I wake up and see them. I think it feeds in to your subconscious.
- Keep a notebook with you at all times - especially by your bed. I sometimes come up with the best ideas when I'm super tired and just about to drop off to sleep.
- Get the pens and paints out. Mixing paint and your own colour is so therapeutic. You can create your very own colour palette which is unique to you. This is sometimes a good starting point for a new project, and helps ease you into the creative process.
- Take mobile photos of things you see just so you remember what you liked about something (see my Instagram shots here). It's great now that most of us have a camera phone. I use mine as a visual notebook and take photos of anything I see that might inspire me for future projects. You can follow Easy Living on Instagram too.