- 1.4kg (2lb 13oz) peaches
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1kg (2lb) jam sugar or
- Caster sugar
- Rinse the peaches, then halve them and remove the pips. Dice the fruit. Place the diced peaches, lemon juice and zest and a pinch of salt into a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the sugar to the pan and stir until dissolved. Boil rapidly for about 15 minutes or until the jam has reached setting point (see below).
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and set aside to cool for about 15 minutes before spooning into sterilised jars.
- Try making peach and vanilla jam. Adding a little vanilla really complements the flavour of the peaches. Add 1tsp vanilla paste or the seeds of 1 vanilla pod to the jam, once it has finished cooking and is cooling. Stir well. Apricots or nectarines also make delicious jams and work well with this recipe - simply substitute them for the peaches.
WHAT SIZE PAN? For the recipe given here, there is no need to buy a special jam pan, but you will need a large saucepan as it should only be half full when all the ingredients have been added. The jam will spit when it is boiling, so this keeps your hands and cooker from being splattered.