- 200g (6½oz) Cheddar cheese
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 4-5tbsp single cream
- 1 egg yolk
- Dash Worcestershire Sauce
- 1tsp English mustard
- 4 slices bread
- Baby spring onions, to serve (optional)
- Heat the grill. Grate the cheese, then mix it with the sliced spring onions, cream, egg yolk, Worcestershire Sauce and mustard. The mixture should just come together.
- Toast the bread and divide the cheese mixture equally between the slices. Grill until the cheese is melted and golden brown. To serve, top each piece of rarebit with a whole baby spring onion.
Cheshire cheese works well in this recipe, too. You can make the cheese mixture and keep it chilled for up 2 hours before grilling. As a variation, try topping with a slice of tomato or grilled bacon.