- 250g digestive biscuits
- 80-100g (2¾-3½oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 600g (1¼lb) cream cheese
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 3 large free range eggs
- 300ml (9½fl oz) tub sour cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- Finely grated zest ½ lemon
- 2tsp lemon juice
- Grease a 23cm (10in) springform cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Coarsely crush the biscuits by placing in a plastic bag and bashing with a rolling pin. Combine the biscuit crumbs and the butter and mix until it just clumps together. Press the crumb mixture into the base of the tin. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Wrap the base of the tin in a layer of foil (it must be watertight). Use either wide foil or a double layer.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (gas mark 2-3). Place a large, deep roasting tray half filled with boiling water into the oven.
- Beat the cream cheese and caster sugar until combined. Add the eggs, sour cream, vanilla, lemon zest and juice. Beat for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture is well mixed.
- Spoon into the prepared cheesecake base and smooth the top. Place the foil wrapped cake tin in the tray of hot water and bake for about 40-50 minutes, or until the centre is just set. Switch off the oven, leave the door slightly ajar and leave the cheesecake inside for 2 hours. Then remove from the bain marie. When cool, refrigerate for 6-12 hours before serving.
When cooked, the centre should be set but still wobble slightly. To prevent the cheesecake cracking in the middle, leave in the oven with the door ajar for 2 hours. Chill well before serving.