- 10g (¼ oz) butter, to grease the tin
- 350g (11 oz) block ready-made shortcrust pastry, chilled
- 6 tbsp good quality berry jam
- Heat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6). Lightly grease a 12-hole tart tin. Remove the pastry from the fridge and roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper. Cut out 12 circles with a 7½ cm (3 in) cutter. Line the holes of the tin with pastry.
- Spoon approximately 2 tsp of jam into each pasty case, being careful not to overfill (the jam will boil over and make a mess if you do). Chill for 20 minutes.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the pastry is golden. Leave to cool for a few minutes before putting then on a wire rack.
You can line the tin with pastry and leave in the fridge for up to 12 hours before filling and baking. Blackberry, plum or blueberry jam all make great tarts.
The tarts can be made the day before. Pop then in a hot oven for a few minutes before serving.