- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 185g (6oz) sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 40g (1¼ oz) self-raising flour
- 185ml (6fl oz) milk
- 80ml (3fl oz) lemon juice
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Heat the oven to 160C (gas mark 2-3). Grease a deep 1.25l soufflé or ovenproof dish. In an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar, egg yolks and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Alternately fold in small amounts of the flour and milk, until all used, to make a smooth batter, then stir in the lemon juice. The batter may look like it has separated at this stage, but this is fine.
- In a separate clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Gently fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared dish, place it in a deep roasting tin and fill the tin with enough boiling water to come a third of the way up the sides of the dish. Gently transfer to the oven and bake for about 50 minutes, or until the top is golden, firm to the touch and risen. Dust with icing sugar and serve with cream.
This pudding can be cooked in six individual dishes, which takes about 30 minutes to cook. Lime zest and juice is a nice substitute for the lemon.