- 185g self raising flour
- 185g butter, softened at room temperature
- 185g caster sugar
- grated zest 2 limes
- 3 eggs, beaten
- juice 1 fresh lime
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 250g mascarpone
- 4 ripe passionfruits
- 4 tablespoons icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 170C (gas mark 3). Grease a loaf tin and line the base with baking parchment.
- To make the cake sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the soft butter, sugar, lime zest, eggs and lime juice. Beat with an electric beater on low speed for 2 minutes, or until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in the preheated oven for about 45-55 minutes, or until risen, golden and firm to the touch when lightly pressed. A skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the filling by gently combining the mascarpone, pulp from the passion fruits and icing sugar in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Slice the cake in half horizontally and sandwich the filling between the layers.
- To make the icing, in a small bowl beat together the sifted icing sugar, butter and enough sieved passion fruit pulp to make the icing spreadable. Spread over the cake using a flat-bladed knife. Allow the icing to set before serving.
It is important that the butter is nice and soft before making the cake. Try and take the butter out of the fridge, 24 hours before making the cake.