- 180g (6oz) unsalted butter
- 50g (1¾oz) plain flour
- 180g (6oz) icing sugar
- 100g (3½oz) ground almonds
- 2tsp finely grated orange zest
- 5 egg whites
- 50g (1¾oz) flaked almonds
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 6). Grease eight small brioche tins with butter.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the ground almonds and the orange zest. Lightly beat the egg whites with a fork until just fluffy and pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Add the warm butter and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tins, filling each ¾ full. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until firm to the touch, golden and risen.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
If you don't have any baby brioche tins, bake these in baby loaf tins or 6 muffin tins. A nice variation is to top each cake with a raspberry or blackberry before baking.