- 180g (6oz) unsalted butter
- 4tbsp plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 180g (6oz) icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 100g (3 1/2oz) ground almonds
- 2tsp lemon zest
- 5 free-range egg whites
- 12-16 raspberries, fresh or frozen
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 5). Lightly grease eight individual cake tins. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat, being careful not to let it burn.
- Sift the flour, salt and icing sugar into a bowl. Stir in the ground almonds and lemon zest.
- Beat the egg whites with a fork until they are foamy, then pour over the dry ingredients. Add the warm butter and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the cake tins, to about 3/4 full. Place one or two raspberries into each. Bake for 15-20mins, or until golden and risen. Cool in the tins for 5 mins, then turn out and cool on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar, to serve.
I like to use fluted baby brioche tins, but as the mixture is so adaptable, you can use classic oval friand tins or even small muffin or cupcake tins. Make sure the tins are well greased as the mixture is quite wet.