- 4 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 125g (4oz) caster sugar
- 100g (3½oz) plain flour
- 30g (1oz) cocoa powder
- 6tbsp strawberries, hulled and halved
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Lightly grease a 20cm round cake tin and line the base with non-stick baking paper. Alternatively spray the tin with vegetable oil.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar with an electric mixer until the mixture is pale, fluffy and almost doubled in volume. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and a pinch of salt and use a large metal spoon to carefully fold in the dry ingredients.
- Tip the mixture gently into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch. A skewer inserted into the centre of the cake should come out clean.
- Set aside to cool. When cold, slice the cake in half and spread the bottom half with the jam. Place the other half on top and pile with the strawberries. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
If you want to make an icing, beat low-fat cream cheese with icing sugar and lemon juice and spread over the top of the cake.