- 200ml (6 ½fl oz) boiling water
- 185g (6oz) caster sugar
- Juice 1 lemon
- 250g (8oz) fresh or tinned mango
- Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool completely.
- Purée the lemon juice, chopped mango and sugar syrup in a blender until smooth. Taste and add extra juice or sugar, if desired.
- Churn in an ice-cream machine until firm. Alternatively, pour the mixture into a shallow lidded container, then cover and freeze for about 3 hours, or until a firm ring of ice appears around the sides and base, and there is a soft slush in the centre. Transfer to an electric mixer or food processor and beat until smooth. Return to the freezer until firm, then beat and freeze 2 more times.
You can use either fresh or tinned mango. If using tinned, drain off any liquid before using.