- FOR THE MERINGUES
- 3 large egg whites (save the yolks for the curd)
- Pinch of salt
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- FOR THE PASSION FRUIT CURD
- 6 egg yolks
- 150g (5oz) caster sugar
- 8 passion fruit (strain half of them)
- 2tbsp orange juice
- 1/4tsp vanilla extract
- 150g (5oz) unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 140°C (gas mark 1) and line two baking trays with baking paper. Place the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the whisk attachment, whisk, gradually adding the sugar a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is stiff and glossy - this may take 5-10 minutes.
- Pipe cone-like shapes into the prepared trays and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until pale and dry. Turn off the oven and allow the meringue to cool in the oven with the door slightly ajar.
- To make the curd, whisk the egg yolks, sugar, passion fruit juice, orange juice and vanilla in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, until well combined. Add the butter little by little, whisking constantly until each piece has melted. Stir until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to let boil.
- Remove form the heat, cover with clingfilm and cool, then refrigerate. Serve the meringues accompanied with a bowl of the curd.
The meringues and curd can both be made up to 2 days ahead of time. Store the meringue in an airtight container and the curd in the fridge.