- 12 mince pies
- 3 egg whites
- 125g caster sugar, sifted
- vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). With a sharp knife, remove the pastry tops from each pie. This may be easier if you warm the pies first.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large clean bowl to stiff peaks. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar until you have a stiff, glossy meringue. Transfer to a piping bag with a medium sized attachment.
- Place about 1 tbsp ice cream on the top of each pie and then pipe meringue around the ice cream, enclosing it to form the shape of a witches hat.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes, until the meringue is pale golden. Serve immediately with extra ice cream, if desired.
These are like mini baked Alaska's; the warm mince pies are topped with a scoop of cold ice cream and then covered with the meringue top. Use either homemade or good quality ready-made pies.