- 1 large unwaxed orange
- 1 large unwaxed lemon
- 100ml (3fl oz) fruity extra virgin olive oil
- 175g (6oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 175g (6oz) ground almonds
- 2tsp baking powder (or gluten-free baking powder)
- Icing sugar, to dust
- Wash the orange and lemon and put them both in a saucepan. Cover with water, bring to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes or so, until soft. Remove them form the water and leave to cool.
- Cut the orange in half, discard the pips and put the skin and pulp in a food processor. Cut the lemon in half and discard the pips and pulp. Put the skin in the food processor with the orange, whizz to a purée and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4) beat the olive oil, caster sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy. Stir in the ground almonds and baking power. Add the puréed fruit and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon the batter into a 20cm (8in) cake tin which has been lightly oiled and the base lined with greaseproof paper. Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the cake is golden and risen, and springs back when lightly touched with a fingertip.
- Leave to cool in the tin until completely cold. Turn out, dust with icing sugar and serve slices with fresh summer berries, if desired.