- 8-10 passion fruit
- 185g (6 oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 300 ml (9½ fl oz) cream
- Halve the passion fruit, spoon out the pulp and push the pulp through a small sieve to remove the seeds.
- Place the sugar and 100 ml (3½ fl oz) water in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Boil steadily for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs and salt with an electric mixer until frothy.
- Slowly pour the sugar syrup into the egg mixture and continue to beat for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened. Stir in the passion fruit.
- Whip the cream until it holds soft peaks and then fold into the mixture. Churn in an ice cream machine if you have one; otherwise, pour the mixture into a lidded container and freeze until firm. Remember to soften before serving.
No ice cream machine? No problem! Beating in eggs and whipped cream will introduce air and fat, meaning this will be soft even without churning.