- 5-6 ripe pears
- 100g (3½oz) unrefined light brown sugar
- 100g (3½oz) dark chocolate chips
- 125g (4oz) plain flour
- 125g (4oz) unrefined granulated sugar
- 100g (3½oz) cold butter, diced
- Peel, core and chop the pears. Combine with the light brown sugar and half the dark chocolate chips. Divide the mixture between six ovenproof ramekins or cups.
- For the topping, place the plain flour, granulated sugar and diced butter in a food processor. Pulse until just combined and the mixture starts to clump together. (You can also do this by rubbing the mixture together with your fingertips to mix the butter through the flour and sugar.) Stir in the remaining chocolate chips. Divide the topping between the ramekins and press down lightly. You can make the crumble ahead to this stage.
- Heat the oven to 180ºC (gas mark 4). Transfer the ramekins to a baking tray and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden and bubbling. Serve with custard or ice cream.
The crumble can be successfully made in a 1.25l (36fl oz) capacity dish and then transferred to individual dishes to serve, if desired.