- 180g (6oz) unsalted butter
- 50g (1¾oz) plain flour
- 180g (6oz) icing sugar
- 100g (3½oz) ground almonds
- 2tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 5 egg whites
- 2 small ripe pears, peeled, cored and quartered
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Heat the oven to 200ºC (gas mark 6). Lightly grease six tart tins with removable bottoms and a base measurement of about 7cm (2¾in).
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over a low heat, and gently cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the butter has turned golden. Be careful not to burn the butter.
- Sift the flour and icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Stir in the ground almonds and lemon zest.
- Lightly beat the egg whites with a fork until just foamy and then pour into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Add the warm butter and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the tart tins, filling each to three-quarters full, and top with pieces of pear. Bake for 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180ºC (gas mark 4) and cook for a further 10-15 minutes, or until golden and risen.
- Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with icing sugar to serve.
In place of the lemon zest, try orange zest. If you don't have tart tins, bake the mixture in muffin tins.