- 8 gelatine leaves
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 4 strips of lemon peel
- 500ml (16fl oz) peach schnapps (optional)
- Put the gelatin leaves into a shallow bowl and cover with water. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow them to soften.
- Put the sugar and lemon peel in a heatproof bowl and pour 400ml (13fl oz) of boiling water over them. Stir well to dissolve, then leave to infuse for 5 minutes. Remove the lemon peel.
- Lift the gelatin leaves from the bowl, and squeeze out any excess liquid, discarding the water. Add the softened leaves to the warm sugar syrup mixture, stirring well to dissolve the gelatin. Add the schnapps (optional).
- Pour the mixture into 6 decorative glasses. Chill for 3-4 hours or overnight. Serve with fresh ripe fruit.
The 8 leaves of gelatin in this recipe will give a wobbly set suitable for serving in a glass. If you make the jelly in a mold, add 2 extra leaves for a firmer set.