- 210g (7oz) refined spelt flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate soda
- Pinch of salt
- 125g (4oz) unsalted butter, softened at roomtemperature
- 250g (8oz) soft brown sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
- 125ml (4fl oz) buttermilk or regular milk, soured with a squeeze of lemon juice
- Heat the oven to 170°C (gas mark 3). Grease a medium-sized loaf tin and line the base and sides with greaseproof paper (leave a little hanging over the sides to help remove the bread from the tin).
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and use the pulse action until smooth. Don't over-process the mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in the oven for 55-60 minutes, or until the bread is firm and golden brown. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve dusted with icing sugar. The flavour improves on keeping. Great the next day served toasted.