- 5 egg whites
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 2tsp vinegar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 4 passion fruit
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 300ml (91/2fl oz) double cream
- 250g (8oz) strawberries
- A few fresh mint leaves
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Heat the oven to 120°C (gas mark 1). Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper, then draw a 20cm (8in) circle in the middle of it.
- Place the egg whites and a pinch of salt in a clean, dry bowl. Beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar, beating well after each addition. Beat until the mixture is stiff and glossy. Fold in the vinegar, vanilla and cornflour.
- Heap the mixture onto the circle on the baking paper, shaping the meringue with a spatula and leaving the centre slightly hollowed. Cook for 1-1¼ hours, or until crisp and dry on the outside. Turn off the heat and allow to cool in the oven with the door ajar.
- Place the passion fruit in a large bowl. Add the sugar and cream and whisk until soft peaks form. Fill the pavlova with the cream and pile the berries on top. Sprinkle with mint leaves and dust with icing sugar.
Any ripe berries suit a pavlova, which can be made a day ahead and the whipped cream and fruit added just before serving.