- 4 egg whites
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 1tsp grated orange zest
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 150g (5oz) plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 250ml (8oz) double cream, to serve
- 24 strawberries, to serve
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Using an electric beater, beat the egg whites on high until stiff peaks form. With a mixer running, slowly add the sugar. Continue beating until glossy, about 1 minute. Add the orange zest and vanilla.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder. Fold the flour mixture into the egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- Spoon the batter into a large plastic bag. Using scissors, cut the end off a corner of the bag to create a circle about 1cm (1/2in) in diameter.
- On a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper, pipe the batter into 24 5cm (2in) rounds. Bake until puffed and golden, which should take about 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Whip the double cream until it forms soft peaks. Slice the strawberries. To serve, place a dollop of whipped cream on the under side of 12 of the puffs and then top each with strawberry slices. Place another puff on top of each and dust with icing sugar.
You can use raspberry or strawberry jam in place of the fresh fruit, if desired. These and best made and eaten on the same day.