- FOR THE SYRUP
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 3tbsp caster sugar
- 2tbsp Grand Marnier or ciontreau
FOR THE CAKE
- Small panettone
- 800ml (32fl oz) whipped cream
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 2 punnets raspberries
- Toasted flaked almonds, to decorate
- To make the syrup combine the zest, juice and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Simmer for 1 minute then leave to cool. Stir in the alcohol.
- Remove the paper from the panettone and trim off and discard the top. Cut the panettone into 3 or 4 rounds. Brush or drizzle each of the rounds with the syrup.
- Beat the cream, orange zest and caster sugar together until it forms soft peaks.
- Place one of the rounds on a platter and cover with a layer of whipped cream. Top with one third of the raspberries. Repeat with the remaining panettone rounds, drizzle with any remaining syrup. You will now have a three-layered cake. Cover the top of the cake with cream, topping with the remaining raspberries and the toasted almonds. Serve immediately, or chill for up to 2 hours.
You can also make this using a regular-sized panettone - simply cut into three or four 2cm rounds and use these, saving the rest to eat with coffee.