- 1 medium potato
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 2 x 380g (12oz) packs
- Ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg lightly beaten, to glaze
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, cut into 2cm (¾in) strips
- 100g (3½oz) mature
- Cheddar, grated
- 2-3tbsp single cream
- Heat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6). Scrub the potato and boil until it is just tender, then drain, cool and thinly slice. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion for 6-7 minutes, or until soft.
- Cut four 15cm (6in) circles and four 18cm (7in) circles from the pastry sheets.
- Lay the four smaller circles on a greased baking tray and brush them lightly with the beaten egg. Spread the cooked onions evenly over the pastry circles, leaving a 1cm (¾in) border all the way around. Top with a few potato slices, bacon and finally the grated Cheddar cheese. Season with a little salt and pepper. Drizzle over the cream.
- Place the larger pieces of pastry over the assembled filling and press the edges of the two pastry circles together. Cut a small cross in the middle of the pie. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, or until golden and risen.
For a meat-free version, simply omit the bacon.