- 4 x 200-250g (61/2-8oz) rib-eye steaks, about 2 1/2- 3 1/2cm (1-1 1/2in) thick
- Olive oil
- Prepare the savoury butter a couple of hours before using. Place the softened butter in a mixing bowl. Add the chives, garlic, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, cayenne pepper and mix well. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roll into a log shape, about 2cm (3.4in) thick, cover with clingfilm and refrigerate until firm. Cut into slices to serve.
- Brush one side of each steak with olive oil and give it a good grinding of black pepper.
- Heat a heavy-based cast-iron frying pan, grill plate or barbecue to hot. Sear the steaks, then reduce the temperature of the heat and continue cooking for the desired time (see below). Brush the uncooked side of the steak with more oil, turn it over and cook the other side.
- Remove from the heat, cover it loosely in foil and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Place a few slices of the butter on top of each steak and place under a hot grill until melted and slightly coloured. Serve with fries, mustard and a crisp green salad.
For a rare steak, cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. For medium, cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. For well done, cook for 3 minutes on each side, then turn down the heat and cook for 8-10 minutes, turning once.