- 50g (1¾oz) pearl barley
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1x400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1.25l (42fl oz) chicken stock or vegetable stock
- About 200g shredded cooked chicken
- 1tbsp chopped fresh basil, to garnish
- Extra virgin olive oil, to garnish.
- Soak the pearl barley in cold water overnight. Heat the 2tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan. Sauté the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for about 5 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes and stock. Strain the barley and add to the saucepan along with the chicken. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, or until the barley has softened.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve hot, garnished with chopped basil and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
If you don't have time to soak the barley, simply add from the packet and cook for an extra 10 minutes, or until soft.