- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2tsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed and sliced
- 600g (1¼lb) minced chicken
- 1½tbsp soy sauce
- 3tbsp oyster sauce
- 5 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 250g (8oz) bean sprouts
- 2tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 2 iceberg lettuces, leaves separated
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes or until coloured and cooked through, breaking up the meat with a fork. Stir in the soy sauce, oyster sauce and spring onions. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes, until the liquid has reduced a little. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the bean sprouts and coriander. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Place two or three lettuce leaves on each serving plate and spoon the mixture into the centre of the leaves. Serve immediately.
This recipe is just as good using minced pork instead of chicken. A simple way to serve is to place the mixture and lettuce leaves on platters and let people help themselves.