- 850g (1lb 12oz) cooked chicken, diced
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 50g (1¾oz) butter
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 250ml (8fl oz) stock
- 125ml (4fl oz) single cream
- 1tbsp fresh chives or parsley, chopped
- 380g (12oz) pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Place the diced chicken in a large bowl. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the leeks, stirring, for 4-5 minutes, or until tender. Add to the bowl with the chicken.
- Add the butter to the frying pan and melt over a medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring well, for 1 minute. Whisk in the stock and cream. Bring to the boil and continue to whisk until the mixture is thickened and smooth. Season well.
- Add enough of the sauce to the leek and chicken mixture to moisten it. Stir in the chives or parsley. Add extra seasoning to taste. Allow to cool.
- Heat the oven to 200°C (gas mark 6). Spoon the mixture into a large pie dish. Cut the pastry to fit the lid (pushing down around the edges to seal well) and top the pie with the lid. Brush with beaten egg and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden and risen.
To ring the changes, try substituting some of the chicken for ham or turkey.