- 1 chicken (about 1.5kg/3lb)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 black peppercorns
- Pinch of saffron
- 4cm (1½in) piece of ginger
- 2tbsp curry powder
- 5tbsp good mango chutney
- 50g (1¾oz) dried apricots or dried mango, finely chopped
- 200ml mayonnaise (home-made if possible)
- 200ml (7fl oz) Greek yoghurt
- 2tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- 50g (1¾oz) flaked almonds, toasted
- Put the chicken, cinnamon, peppercorns, saffron, 1tsp salt and half the ginger in a large pan, and cover with water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 1½hours.
- Remove the chicken and let it cool. Remove the meat and cut into bite-sized pieces. Chop the remaining ginger and heat with the curry powder in a dry frying pan until fragrant.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the mango chutney, dried fruit, mayonnaise, yoghurt and Worcestershire sauce. Add the chicken, stir and season to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
- To serve, stir though the coriander and scatter with the toasted almonds.