- 2tbsp oil
- 4 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 2 leeks, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely sliced
- 900g (2lb) cooked turkey meat, shredded
- 2l (64fl oz) chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1tbsp chopped chives
- 100ml (3½fl oz) cream
- Bread to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the bacon, onions, leek potato, celery and turkey meat. Cook, stirring, for 7-8 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and bay leaf, and bring to the boil. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add the carrots and bring back to the boil. Add the cream and chives, and continue to heat, but don't boil.
- Serve hot, with crusty bread.
This delicious, hearty and restorative soup is perfect for a simple Boxing Day lunch. This works well with leftover turkey, chicken or beef.