- 4 duck breasts, skin on
- 1tbsp five-spice powder
- 1tsp Sichuan peppercorns, crushed
- 2tsp crushed sea salt
- 1 red onion, peeled and quartered
- Heat the oven to 180ºC (gas mark 4). Cut each duck breast into about 8 cubes. Combine the five-spice powder, Sichuan peppercorns and salt, and lightly sprinkle the pieces of duck with the mixture. Separate the onion quarters into individual slices.
- Using either metal or soaked bamboo skewers, thread a couple of slices of onion followed by a piece of duck. Continue until you have 4 pieces of duck on each skewer.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan until hot and sear the duck for about 1 minute on each side. Transfer to the oven and cook for about 15 minutes, or until cooked. Serve with steamed Chinese vegetables.
This recipe also works well with chicken. You can easily thread the skewers ahead of time and chill until ready to cook.