FOR THE KEBABS
500g (1lb) firm white fish fillets, skinned
250g (8oz) salmon fillet, skinned
1 egg white
3 long green chillies, seeds removed and finely chopped
4 spring onions, finely sliced
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tsp finely grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
Juice and finely grated zest 1 lime
1 tbsp fennel seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tsp black peppercorns
FOR THE YOGHURT SAUCE
250ml (8fl oz) tub natural yoghurt
1 small cucumber, grated or finely chopped
2-3 tbsp roughly chopped fresh mint leaves
Steamed rice, to serve
- Soak 18 skewers in warm water for 20 minutes. Remove any bones from the fish, roughly chop and then process with the egg white in a food processor until minced. Stir the chillies, spring onions, fresh coriander, mint, ginger, garlic, lime zest and juice and mix well.
- Heat the fennel seeds, coriander seeds and peppercorns in a frying pan over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Grind in a spice mill or with a pestle and mortar. Stir the spice into the mixture and season with sea salt.
- Mould golf ball size pieces of the mixture onto 12 soaked skewers. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the kebabs either on a barbeque plate or on a heated grill pan until golden on both sides.
- Make the yoghurt sauce by combining the yoghurt, cucumber and mint. Season to taste with a little salt. Serve accompanied with steamed rice.
You can use all white fish in this recipe if desired, while the fish skewers can be prepared a few hours ahead of cooking.