- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 leeks, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 1 x 400g (13oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 1l (32fl oz) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 small red cabbage, shredded
- 2 courgettes, diced
- 1 x 300g (10oz) tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, garlic and leeks and cook, stirring over a medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Skim the surface with a spoon to remove any froth.
- Add cabbage, courgettes, chickpeas and parsley and simmer for 15 minutes, or until tender. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Vary the vegetables to suit your taste, but remember the soup should be thick and hearty. The soup can be easily made ahead of time and refrigerated for up to 3 days before serving.