- 200g (6½oz) couscous
- 30g (1oz) sultanas
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 75g (2½oz) pine kernels
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium courgettes, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 6 spring onions, sliced diagonally
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 2tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1tbsp chopped basil
- Place the couscous and sultanas in a large, heatproof bowl. Pour over 400ml (13fl oz) of boiling water, cover tightly with clingfilm and leave the bowl somewhere warm for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan over a moderate heat. When the oil is hot, add the pine kernels and cook, stirring, until golden. Add the garlic, courgettes, pepper, spring onions, chilli and cumin. Cook, stirring, for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are just tender. Stir through the parsley and basil, then transfer the mixture to the couscous. Stir through, tossing well to fluff up the couscous. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
This is great as a meal on its own and also makes a delicious accompaniment to roast meat, chicken or fish. You can add peppers, fried aubergines or grilled asparagus to the couscous as a variation.