- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole
- 2tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 8 large chicken thighs
- 4 chicken legs
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 400ml (13fl oz) chicken stock
- 1 x 400g (13oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- Sour cream, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Heat the olive oil over a medium heat in a large flameproof casserole dish or saucepan. Add the onions and whole garlic and cook, stirring for 5-7 minutes, or until they have softened (without browning too much).
- Add the paprika, chicken pieces, bay leaves, stock and tomatoes. Bring to the boil, cover with a tight-fitting lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1 hour.
- Remove the lid and cook for a further 25 minutes, or until the chicken is nicely coloured. Skim off any fat with a large spoon. Serve with the sauce, topped with sour cream.
Using either legs or thighs for this dish (rather than breasts) gives a better texture and flavour for slow cooking.