- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli
- 1 tbsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric seeds
- 400ml (13fl oz) coconut milk
- 850ml (27fl oz) chicken or vegetable stock
- 2x400g (13oz) tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 300g (10oz) spinach, rinsed and shredded
- Indian bread, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, cover and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. The onions should be a dark golden colour and very soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, chilli, mustard seeds and turmeric, and stir for 1-2 minutes, or until the spices release their flavour. Add the coconut milk, the stock and the chickpeas and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat a little and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cook until wilted. Season to taste and serve with warm Indian bread.
When using canned chickpeas, it's important to drain and rinse them under cold running water to get rid of the liquid in the tin.