- 2 sliced white bread, crusts removed
- Milk, for soaking
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 long red chillies, chopped
- 4tbsp chopped mint, plus 2 tbsp extra
- 600g minced lamb
- 1tsp each of ground cumin and ground coriander
- Large pinch chilli power
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 150ml plain yoghurt
- Ciabiatta bread, to serve
- Rocket leaves, to serve
- Break the bread into pieces and soak in a little milk for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze dry, then crumble into a large bowl. Combine the bread, onion, garlic, chilli, 4 tbsp mint, lamb, cumin, coriander and lemon zest, Season with salt and pepper. Divide into four and shape into round burgers about 2.5cm thick. Chill for about 30 minutes.
- Make the sauce by mixing the yoghurt with the extra chopped mint and season well with salt and pepper.
- To cook, brush each burger with a little olive oil and grill under a preheated oven grill (or barbecue) for about 4-5 minutes on each side until brown. Serve hot with toasted bread or buns, rocket and minted yoghurt sauce.
The burger can be made up to 24 hours ahead of time, and just cooked when needed. They hold together better when chilled before cooking.