- 3-4 leeks
- 20g (¾oz) butter, plus extra for greasing
- 200ml (3½fl oz) chicken stock
- 200ml (3½fl oz) double cream
- 125g (4½oz) grated Gruyére
- Heat the oven to 160°C (gas mark 2-3). Grease a baking dish large enough to hold the leeks in two layers. Trim the roots from the leeks and most of the green, then quarter them lengthways. Rinse the leeks to remove the dirt and pat dry with a clean tea towel.
- Place the leeks in a prepared dish and season with salt and pepper. Dot with the butter, then pour on the stock and bake for about 45 minutes. Cover with foil if the leeks start to colour.
- Remove from the oven and turn the leeks over. Pour on the cream, cover the dish loosely with foil and bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle with the cheese. Return to the oven until the cheese has melted and is golden.
Herbs such as thyme, or finely chopped rosemary are tasty added to the leeks, if desired.