- 1tbsp olive oil
- 150g (5oz) pancetta, cubed (or 2 rashers of smoked bacon)
- 1 medium brown onion, finely sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, finely sliced
- 10 small new potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 1.25l (40fl oz) chicken stock
- 1 sweet romaine lettuce, shredded
- Freshly shaved parmesan, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the pancetta and sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add the onions, spring onions, celery and potatoes, and cook, stirring for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the stock and simmer, partly covered, for 20 minutes. Then add the shredded lettuce, bring back to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve with fresh shavings of parmesan.
The better the quality of stock, the better the soup. This can be made ahead of time adding the lettuce leaves - do that just before reheating.