For a twist on the Italian original try this Mexican style pizza. Crispy flatbread topped with guacamole, cheese, chicken and plenty of greens, and ready in 30 minutes; it's perfect Friday night fare.
- 1 large bag of baby spinach
- Small knob of butter
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Olive oil
- 4 large flat breads (large Middle Eastern pittas, Turkish or Italian flat breads)
- 4 heaped tbsp guacamole or the flesh of a ripe avocado
- 2 balls of mozzarella, grated
- 80g pecorino or mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 300g leftover chicken or 2 chicken breasts, poached and shredded
- 8 sunblushed tomatoes or very ripe fresh tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tbsp roughly chopped herbs (basil, tarragon, chervil or coriander)
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- Wash the spinach and shake dry. Heat a large pan, add the butter to it, then add the spinach and cook for a few minutes until the spinach has wilted down. Remove from the pan, squeeze dry and season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Heat a large frying pan (big enough to hold the flat breads) or a flat griddle pan. Put one flat bread in the pan and sprinkle with a tiny bit of water to gently heat it.
- Once slightly crisp, turn it over. Spread on a layer of guacamole, followed by some grated mozzarella and a quarter of the rest of the ingredients. When the outer side of the bread is crisp and the mozzarella has begun to melt, fold the pizza over so it looks a little like an open calzone. Slide onto a plate and slice into pieces.
- Serve with a habanaro salsa or a roast tomato sauce, with or without chipotles.
You can fill these pizzas with anything you like, from grilled chorizo and strips of skirt steak to fish and grilled seasonal vegetables.