- 1tbsp olive oil
- 3 rashers bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1l (32fl oz), chicken or vegetable stock
- 500g (1lb) frozen peas
- 2tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- Chopped cooked bacon, to garnish
- Heat the oil over a moderate heat in a large saucepan. Add the bacon, onion, celery and leek, and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft, but not coloured.
- Add the stock and the peas to the saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little.
- Purée the soup in batches in a blender or with a hand-held liquidiser until smooth. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve hot, garnished with mint and chopped cooked bacon.
This can be made up to 24 hours ahead of serving - it is best not to purée the soup until the day you want to serve it as it may lose some of its vibrant green colour.