- 750ml (24fl oz) fish or vegetable stock
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 1.5cm (¾in) piece fresh ginger
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
- 6 coriander stems or roots
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 100g (3½in) mange tout, sliced
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 400g (13oz) fish fillets, sliced
- Light soy sauce
- Juice half lime
- Handful pea sprouts
- Coriander leaves, to garnish
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Bring the stock, garlic, ginger, chilli and coriander stems to the boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat and simmer very gently for about 20 minutes.
- Strain the stock, discarding the garlic, ginger, chill and coriander. Return to the heat and add the carrots, mange tout and spring onions, and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the fish and simmer for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Season to taste with a dash or two of the soy sauce and lemon juice. Divide the sprouts between 2 large bowls and pour over the soup. Garnish with coriander leaves and accompany with lime wedges.
Any thick white fish fillets or salmon fillets are good to use.