- 1tbsp olive oil
- 600g (1¼lb) carrots, scrubbed or peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 brown onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1.5l (48fl oz) chicken stock
- 2tbsp cream
- Celery salt, to serve
- Heat the oil in large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the carrots, onions and celery and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the stock, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 25 minutes, or until tender.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, blend it using either a hand held liquidizer or worktop blender until smooth, then gently reheat. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Whip the cream until it forms very soft peaks. Ladle the soup into bowls and spoon on some whipped cream, sprinkle with a little celery salt.
This can be made ahead of time and kept chilled for up to three days before reheating and serving.