- 1 shoulder lamb (with bone)
- Olive oil
- Boiling chicken or beef stock, or water
- 3 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1 x 400g (13oz) tin chopped italian tomatoes
- 1 x 400g (13oz) tin cannellini or borlotti beans, drained
- Heat the oven to 150°C (gas mark 2). Rub the lamb with a little olive oil and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the lamb in a roasting tin and add enough boiling stock or water to reach a depth of 5mm (¼in), then add the garlic and thyme. Cover with foil and cook for about 3½ hours. Check every 30 minutes to make sure the stock hasn't evaporated, adding more water if needed.
- Increase the oven temperature to 170°C (gas mark 3). Add the tomatoes and drained beans to the roasting dish and return to the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Let the lamb rest in the juices for about 20 minutes. Remove the garlic and thyme. Skim off any fat and season to taste. Serve the juice with the lamb.
Cook the lamb until the meat is falling off the bone. This method also works for rolled and boned shoulders.