- 1.8-2kg (3lb 10oz-4lb) leg lamb
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 bunch of fresh rosemary
- 1tbsp fennel seeds
- 1tbsp coriander seeds
- 2tsp paprika
- 1tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 220°C (gas mark 7). Slash the lamb with a sharp knife in 10 places. Insert a sliver of garlic and a small sprig of rosemary into each slash.
- Grind the spices, salt and a few turns of black pepper in a pestle and mortar. Brush the meat with a little olive oil and then rub in the spices.
- Roast the lamb in the oven for 15 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 160°C (gas mark 2-3) and cook it for a further 60 minutes (for medium).
In Morocco, this is served with cumin and sea salt on the table. Accompany it with a salad of tomato and thinly sliced red onion.