- 750ml (24fl oz) chicken stock
- 2 shallots, finely sliced
- 1 stalk lemon grass, thinly sliced
- 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 1tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Grated zest of ½ a lime
- 3 skinless chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 400g tin of coconut milk
- 2tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2tbsp lime juice
- 2tsp brown sugar
- 120g (4oz) fresh rice noodles
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- Combine the chicken stock, shallots, lemon grass, chillies, ginger, garlic and lime zest in a large saucepan and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime juice and sugar and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Place the noodles in a heat-proof bowl and cover with boiling water. Separate the noodles, then drain. Divide them between four deep bowls.
- Ladle soup over the noodles and top with the coriander. Serve with quartered limes, if desired.
Add extra lime juice, sugar, Thai fish sauce or chilli according to taste; it should have a good balance of sweet, sour and spice.