- 4 quail eggs
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and very finely sliced
- 150ml (5fl oz) good quality mayonnaise
- 1tbsp roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 heaped tsp grain mustard
- The juice of ½ lemon
- 6 slices of smoked salmon
- 3tbsp salmon roe
- Place the quail eggs in a saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes. Transfer them to a bowl of cold water and leave to reach room temperature. Peel the eggs and halve them.
- Combine the sliced fennel with enough mayonnaise to moisten the mixture. Stir through the parsley and mustard. Squeeze over a little lemon juice and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide between two plates and top with the smoked salmon, roe and halved eggs.
If possible, combine the fennel and mayonnaise about 1 hour before serving, as it helps the fennel to soften a little and the flavours to develop.