This warm summer salad makes a great accompaniment to barbecue
meats (and it seems we have a few more barbecue days in the
pipeline), but is also substantial enough to enjoy on its own.
Stock up on your five-a-day in the most delicious way.
- Olive oil
- 1 aubergine, trimmed
- 2 courgettes, trimmed
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed
- 2 red peppers
- 8 baby plum tomatoes
- 1tsp fresh oregano (or thyme)
- Chopped 3 thick slices of bread, crusts removed
- 1 clove of garlic
- Peeled handful rocket
- 2tbsp basil
- Roughly chopped Zest of ½ a lemon
- 1-2tsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oven to 180C (gas mark 4). Brush 2 baking sheets with
a little oil. Cut the aubergines and courgettes into 2cm (3/4 in)
dice. Cut the fennel lengthways into 5mm (¼ in) slices. Halve the
red peppers, remove seeds and fibre and cut into 2-3cm (3/4 - 1 ¼
in) pieces. Halve the tomatoes.
- Place all vegetables in a bowl, drizzle with a little oil,
sprinkle with oregano and season well with salt and freshly ground
pepper. Transfer the vegetables to the baking sheets and roast in
the oven for 40-50mins, or until cooked, tossing occasionally.
Meanwhile, cut the slices of bread into 1cm (1/2in) squares. Heat
2tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and, when hot, add the
whole garlic clove and the bread and toss frequently until the
bread is crisp and golden. Drain on kitchen paper and discard the
- To serve, toss the bread, rocket, basil and lemon zest with the
roasted vegetables. Drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar and mix