- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 medium courgette, sliced
- 2 x 400g (13oz) tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 200g (6½oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 50g (1¾oz) baby spinach leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, stoned and cut into 1cm (½in) cubes
- 2tbsp roughly chopped fresh mint
- 2tbsp lemon juice
- 1tsp grated lemon zest
- ½tsp ground sumac (find in specialist Middle Eastern shops)
- ¼tsp ground cinnamon
- 150g (5oz) feta, crumbled
- Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a moderate heat. Add the onions, garlic and courgette and stir-fry for about 5 minutes, or until just coloured and softened. Set aside.
- Combine the drained chickpeas, tomatoes, spinach leaves, avocado, mint, lemon juice and zest, spices and feta, stir through the onions and courgette, and leave for five minutes for the flavours to develop. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Drizzle with enough extra virgin olive oil to lightly coat the salad.