- 2 large red peppers
- 750g (1½lb) mixed tomatoes (use yellow or red cherry tomatoes,organic plum tomatoes or larger ripe tomatoes), halved or quartered
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3-4tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2tbsp basil leaves
- Heat the oven to 200ºC (gas mark 6). Roast the peppers whole for about 40 minutes, or until starting to blacken slightly. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Combine the tomatoes, onion, vinegar, garlic and olive oil. Mix gently and season well with salt and pepper. Set aside for at least 20 minutes.
- Peel the peppers, discarding the peel, seeds and juice, then cut them into bite-size pieces and combine with the tomatoes.
- Serve on a platter and toss with the basil leaves. Drizzle with extra oil, if desired.
If you need to make this in a hurry, simply buy ready-roasted peppers, available at most delis and supermarkets.