- 1 loaf rustic Italian bread (Pugliese or ciabatta)
- 1 clove garlic, flattened with a knife
- 750g (1½lb) ripe tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1tsp capers (optional, but good)
- 100ml (3½fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- 2tbsp red wine vinegar
- 20 basil leaves
- Cut the bread into 8 thick (1cm/½in) slices and toast until golden. Rub each slice with the crushed garlic clove and then break into bite-size pieces.
- Combine the tomatoes, capers (if using), any remaining garlic and bread and place in a bowl.
- Combine the olive oil and red wine vinegar and pour over the salad. Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stir well then leave the salad for 10-15 minutes. Serve scattered with basil leaves.
Use a mixture of cherry tomatoes and larger vine-ripened ones for variety. Diced cucumber, sliced peppers or olives make good additions.